Friday 15 April 2011

The best laid plans

I think one of the hardest things about dieting is the fact life does not flow smoothly. Life doesn't follow our plans.

I got up this morning knowing today was going to be a busy day. An 8 hour shift at work followed immediately with a knee ultrasound for my daughter. And my son wanted to use the elliptical at the Y then go for a swim. I figured we'd come home from the ultrasound, grab a quick bite to eat and head right out to the Y.

My first bump occurred moments after I got my daughter up for school and one of her first comments to me was "My stomach's bugging me. I feel sick." I called her school while running into work.

My second bump came when I was leaving work and discovered my son was home sick and had been since lunchtime. I don't have a phone near me at work.

Of course that meant that exercising at the Y was off for sure. Son's feverish and coughing several times a minute.

Third bump came courtesy of Mother Nature. I've got tomorrow off and planned on taking a good long walk in the sunshine. It was freezing today but I figured I'd just wear a winter coat again and walk fast. That was until I called my sister and she commented on all the rain we're supposed to get tomorrow. Yep, pouring rain all day tomorrow with a high of 6C.

On the plus side I did exercise with my Wii this morning before work and I was active all day at work. Tomorrow, since it's raining I'll exercise for 30 minutes with the Wii instead of my usual 15 minutes and I'll continue to eat healthy as well. It won't be what I planned but it still will be healthy.

Life is never going to flow smoothly. There is no time that our plans will go without interruption. No time there isn't a holiday, party, family dinner, picnic/barbecue, or vacation full of treats and lots of relaxation. The only way to be successful is to realize that life is not going to give us perfect opportunities. We need to do the best we can with what we've got. And, with that, I'll leave you with a quote...

"If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin."

-Ivan Turgenev

No comments:

Post a Comment