Tuesday 10 January 2012

Yummy vegetable frittatas

What a day! I woke to the alarm this morning and my cat Blackie tried to pin me in bed when I went to get up. Unfortunately for her she only weighs about 8lbs so it wasn't hard to move her. As soon as I got out of bed, she rolled right into the warm spot and stretched. I swear she snickered too (I'd never heard a cat snicker before).

I weighed myself this morning and was disappointed to see the scale back at 175lbs. Since I was at 172lbs yesterday I doubt it's a real gain but I'd been hoping to see a bit of a loss, especially after the hour long exercise class I had yesterday. Weirdly enough I weighed myself after exercising with the My Fitness Coach and was at 176lbs! Apparently I gained a pound while exercising... even though I didn't eat or drink anything. I only worked out for 15 minutes this morning so highly doubt I gained a pound of muscle. It's tempting to blame exercise for weight gain, except I have to be honest with myself and admit I didn't lose weight when I wasn't exercising. Maybe it's just me; I attract calories through the air.

I got to work and just felt fumble-fingered. I brewed coffee (without a pot), knocked over coffee cups (full of cream and sugar), and thankfully no one was around when I attempted to throw garbage bags into the bin out back (I did get them in... eventually).

And my throat started hurting a half-hour into my eight and a half hour shift.

There was a good part to my shift (other than getting paid) and that was the yummy vegetable frittata I made for lunch. I struggle with lunchtime; we get two 15 minute breaks and I find it extremely hard to eat a meal in 15 minutes. I'm just not a fast eater. Then I saw this recipe on SparkPeople and decided to try it... with a few modifications. It turned out incredible! And now I'll share my modifications with you :o)

Mini Vegetable Frittatas

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups egg whites (a carton and a bit)
2 Tbsp low-fat milk
1 cup diced tomato
2 tbsp grated light feta cheese
1 tsp pureed garlic
2 cups chopped mixed veggies (I used mushrooms, onion, fresh baby
spinach and julienne sun-dried tomatoes... not oil packed)
dried dill and Mrs Dash seasonings to taste



Directions
Mix eggs and milk in a bowl. Add cheese and chopped vegetables. Season.
Spoon mixture into muffin tins coated with cooking spray.
Baked at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until "set" and golden on top.

You can refrigerate and reheat these in the microwave for a quick breakfast or snack. Microwave on high for approximately 30 seconds. Serve warm.


I froze the frittatas and took one out last night to thaw. I only microwaved it for 20 seconds but our work microwave heats fast. Quick, easy, and it filled me up (along with a salad, vegetable juice, and four squares of dark chocolate). Best of all I finished lunch with several minutes to spare. I'm often shoving several forkfuls of salad into my mouth as the alarm on my cellphone goes off.

I'm home from work now and have wild and exciting plans for tonight that revolve around eating leftovers and reading while having a bubble bath. Even more exciting I plan on being dosed up on cold medication and in bed by 8:30pm. Blackie's already waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment